Google Cloud Engineer Bootcamp
Interested in launching your tech career?
The Google Cloud Engineer bootcamp is a free 12 week programme to kickstart your career in tech and is part of the Katalyst Programme — the programme is delivered with support from our partner Google Cloud and includes a version of training used for Google employees.
What jobs could I do after completing the programme?
This programme trains you to become a Cloud Platform Engineer – a cloud engineer is an IT professional responsible for technological duties related to cloud computing, including design, maintenance and support.
Generation and Google Cloud teams have worked closely with employers to build a course teaching what you exactly what you need know to be successful in a tech career from day one.
Who is this programme for?
This programme is open to anyone aged 18+ who is living in London and currently unemployed or working on a zero-hours contract.
You don’t need any qualifications or experience to apply and we encourage applications from groups under-represented in the tech industry – particularly women, those without university degrees and those aged under 30.
Take the Where Do I Belong in Tech Quiz to see if this is the right programme for you!
Listen to some of our graduates speak about what it’s like to study on one of our programmes:
What can we offer you?
- Free training – You’ll learn all you need to be successful in a cloud engineering career – from the coding languages and technical knowledge of cloud computing to the employment skills that will help you fulfil your potential.
- Free qualifications:
- Google Cloud Digital Leader – you’ll be prepared for and sit this exam as part of the programme
- Associate Cloud Engineer – you’ll be started on a journey of preparing for this exam with the aim of completing it within 6 months of starting your first job with an employer
- Connect with employers – At the end of the programme, Generation will connect you with employers hiring for cloud engineer roles, support you through your application, and help you transition into your working life.
- Continue to receive your benefits –If you’re receiving universal credit or other benefits, we’ll work with you to make sure you continue to receive these during the programme.
Program Length12 weeks
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Start Date21 August 2023
- Aged 18+
- Not currently in education, training, or stable employment
- Can demonstrate your interest in a career in technology
- Have the legal right to work & live in the UK
- Live in a London borough
- Available for 12 weeks, and ready to start a full time job straight after the course
This programme is delivered in partnership with:
What is a Cloud Platform Engineer?
Cloud technology underpins everything we experience online. From Netflix to Facebook, Reddit to the BBC, lots of companies around the world use Google Cloud and cloud services to power their businesses.
Cloud Platform Engineers perform the coding and software engineering that brings the architect’s vision to life. They merge traditional programming skills with specialized knowledge in one or more of the leading cloud platforms' development environments to build, deploy and optimize cloud-based applications.
A Cloud Platform Engineer's daily responsibilities and tasks include:
- Implement alerts that warn engineers when something is going wrong, or is likely to go wrong soon.
- Troubleshooting errors for cloud infrastructure
- Deploy software and/or configuration to fleets of computers based on defined rules and processes.
- Write and update documentation and knowledge base articles for internal and external readers
- Create cloud resources (cloud servers, databases, etc) from the web console, command line or using infrastructure as code tools like Terraform.
We'll help you learn the technical skills with lots of hands-on, interactive sessions. By the end, you'll understand:
- Computing fundamentals - binary code, hardware and cloud computing
- Linux fundamentals
- Google Cloud fundamentals - inc. big data and machine learning
- Programming fundamentals
- User security and threat analysis
- Computer networking
Don't worry if some of these technical skills aren't familiar to you — we'll teach you everything on the programme. To explore if you'll enjoy the course content, we recommend trying out some free online coding courses such as Codeacademy or Freecodecamp.
Behavior & Mindsets
In every job, there are key skills that will help you be successful. We'll help you learn how to:
- Be proactive
- Communication effectively with team members
- Tackle any problem
- Prioritize and manage your time
- Working in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders
Preparing you for employment
We'll also spend time teaching you how to thrive in work through:
- Employment Essentials sessions - inc. interview skills, CV writing
- Social Support and Mentorship sessions
- Community sessions - giving you a support network after your time with us
What your journey will look like
Complete your applicationGo through the selection process outlined earlier.
Meet your mentorIf you gain a place, you’ll meet with your mentor before the programme starts to make sure you have all the support you need to achieve your potential.
Start your trainingThe programme begins! You’ll learn the behaviours, mindsets and technical skills to succeed in the end role.
Get ready for your job applicationsAs training progresses, you'll work with the Generation team on your interview technique and creating your personal statement for end employers.
Graduate!Graduate and celebrate your achievement with your friends and family.
Connect with employers and start in your new roleGeneration will connect you with employers who have vacancies reserved especially for Generation graduates. We’ll support you to find a role, and then stay in touch as you start in the job.
Ongoing benefits of Generation
A Trusted Network
Continued contact with the Generation graduate network
Events and workshops to help you keep growing
Become a mentor to help others
Troubleshoot your job challenges