Launch your career in tech: Become a Data Analyst
This programme has been developed in partnership with Microsoft.
Demand for data skills has tripled in the past five years and it is one of the fastest growing areas in tech! On this free 11 week Skills Bootcamp in Data Analytics, we’ll provide you with the perfect launchpad to enter this area.
What jobs could I do after completing the programme?
This programme trains you to become a Data Analyst, a person whose job is to gather and interpret data in order to solve a specific problem for a business. Similar job titles include Research Analyst, or Data Scientist.
Who is this programme for?
This programme is open to anyone aged 19+ as at 31st August 2023 who is living in Greater Manchester and currently unemployed or working on a zero-hours contract.
You don’t need any qualifications or experience to apply and we encourage applications from groups under-represented in the tech industry – particularly women, those without university degrees, and those aged under 30.
We are looking for learners who:
- enjoy working with numbers, calculations and analysis
- like solving problems with a logical, step-by-step approach
- have good attention to detail
- feel comfortable with the idea of learning new software programmes, such as Microsoft Excel
- are happy doing (or learning to do) a bit of computer programming or coding
- are comfortable working with other people, and like the idea of presenting or explaining your findings in simple, easy to understand ways
What will you gain from the programme?
- It’s free! Gain all the skills you need to kickstart a career in the tech industry, at no cost
- Average estimated starting salary from £23-27k in your first role and access to future progression opportunities
- Grow in confidence and resilience, while building your first professional network in the classroom.
Hear from our previous learners
What do we offer?
- Free training You’ll learn all you need to be successful – from programming skills to the employment essentials that will help you achieve your potential. All programmes are delivered fully remote during Covid.
- Gain an industry recognised Qualification Train towards obtaining the Microsoft Power Platform Fundamentals qualification (at £0 cost to you).
- Connect with hiring employers At the end of the programme, Generation will enrol you to the Graduate Hub, helping you prepare for interviews. We will connect you with employers looking to hire data analysts at the time, support you in job applications, and help you transition into your working life.
- Free IT support – if you need a laptop, webcam, or internet connectivity to help you access the boot-camp, we’ll provide it while you study, free of charge
- Mentor support during and 6 months post programme
- Continue to receive your benefits if you are receiving Universal Credit or other work-related benefits such as JSA or ESA, we will work with you to make sure you continue to receive these during the programme.
All Generation bootcamps are delivered online via Zoom.
Program Length11 weeks
- Aged 19+ as at 31st August 2023
- Available full time for 11 weeks, and ready to start a full time job straight after the course
- Not currently in education, training or stable employment (zero-hours contracts are accepted)
- Have lived in the UK or European Economic Area for a minimum of 3 years
- Have the relevant Right to Work in the UK (Student Visas, Graduate Visas, Skilled Worker Visas and Youth Mobility Visas not eligible)
- You like Maths, and are interested in working with numbers
- Currently living in Greater Manchester
What does a Data Analyst Do?
Data, data, data - we are producing more than ever and it is seen as the new most valuable asset of companies. Think about how many customers a company like Amazon or eBay has. Millions? Then think about how many items they have online. Billions? And within that, how many types of individual information - names, locations, costs - all evolving all the time.
What makes data so valuable is the analysis of it and how it can be used to make the right decisions - whether this be launching a new product, determining what type of tv series will sell best or even setting a strategy to manage a pandemic - all require data analytics.
Hear first hand what a data analyst does - this example is from a Healthcare company
We'll help you learn the technical skills with lots of hands-on, interactive sessions. By the end, you'll know:
Don't worry if some of these technical skills aren't familiar to you — you'll learn them on the programme.
Behavior & Mindsets
In every job, there are key skills that will help you be successful. We'll help you learn how to develop the key employability skills to be successful in your role.
How we prepare you
In a world of job training programs, Generation takes a different approach to help you succeed. Generation instructors and mentors get to know each student and are there with resources, tools, and information if a student encounters a barrier.
The instructors and mentors at Generation aren't just teachers, they're coaches who stand by their students through successes and challenges.
The right CV can open the door to new career opportunities. Generation students learn how to create a CV that showcases their skills and experiences.
By conducting mock interviews, then providing real-time feedback and coaching, the Generation team ensures that all graduates feel confident and prepared to interview.
After graduation, mentors and instructors continue to check in with alums, providing support with the job search and advice for continued success.
Ongoing benefits of Generation
A Trusted Network
Continued contact with the Generation graduate network
Events and workshops to help you keep growing
Become a mentor to help others
Troubleshoot your job challenges