Launch your career in tech: Become a data engineer
Data is one of the fastest growing areas in tech. With career paths leading to AI, machine learning and Big Data, now is a great time to join this sector. On this free 12 week bootcamp, we’ll provide you with the perfect launchpad. This is a Skills Bootcamp – part of the Government’s Lifetime Skills Guarantee and Plan for Jobs.
What jobs could I do after completing the programme?
This programme trains you to become a Data Engineer, a person whose job is to build and maintain the tech systems that enable companies to navigate huge amounts of data, smoothly and securely. Similar job titles include Data Architect and Solutions Architect.
Who is this programme for?
This programme is open to anyone aged 19+ as at 31st August 2023 who is living in Greater Manchester and currently unemployed or working on a zero-hours contract.
You don’t need any qualifications or experience to apply and we encourage applications from groups under-represented in the tech industry – particularly women, those without university degrees, and those aged under 30.
We are looking for learners who:
- have basic Python Skills (Complete the free W3 Schools training here to gain these)
- like solving problems with a logical, step-by-step approach
- have good attention to detail
- feel comfortable with the idea of learning new software programmes, such as Microsoft Excel
- are happy doing (or learning to do) a bit of computer programming or coding
What will you gain from the programme?
- It’s free! Gain all the skills you need to kickstart a career in the tech industry, at no cost
- Average estimated starting salary from £25-30k in your first role and access to future progression opportunities
- Grow in confidence and resilience, while building your first professional network in the classroom.
What do we offer?
- Free training You’ll learn all you need to be successful – from programming skills to the employment essentials that will help you achieve your potential.
- Connect with employers At the end of the programme, Generation will connect you with employers hiring for data engineer roles, support you through your application, and help you transition into your working life.
- Continue to receive your benefits if you are receiving Universal Credit or other work-related benefits such as JSA or ESA, we will work with you to make sure you continue to receive these during the programme.
All Generation bootcamps are delivered online via Zoom.
Program Length12 weeks
- Aged 19+ as at 31st August 2023
- Available full time for 12 weeks, and ready to start a full time job straight after the course
- Not currently in education, training or stable employment (zero-hours contracts are accepted)
- Have lived in the UK or European Economic Area for a minimum of 3 years
- Have the relevant Right to Work in the UK (Student Visas, Graduate Visas, Skilled Worker Visas and Youth Mobility Visas not eligible)
- Basic Python Skills (Complete the free W3 Schools training to gain these)
- You live in Greater Manchester
What does a Data Engineer do?
Think about how many customers a company like Amazon or eBay has. Millions? Then think about how many items they have online. Billions? And within that, how many types of individual information - names, locations, costs - all evolving all the time.
As a data engineer, you build and maintain the tech systems that enable companies to navigate these huge amounts of data, smoothly and securely.
It’s all about clear thinking, problem-solving and being ready to dive into the detail with your teammates.
Here's Henri, explaining the typical tasks you'll complete as a Data Engineer.
We'll help you learn the technical skills with lots of hands-on, interactive sessions. By the end, you'll know:
Don't worry if some of these technical skills aren't familiar to you — you'll learn them on the programme. The only technical skill you need to have before the programme is basic Python - to learn this, you need to review the W3 Schools Python Tutorial.
Behavior & Mindsets
In every job, there are key skills that will help you be successful. We'll help you learn how to:
Ongoing benefits of Generation
A Trusted Network
Continued contact with the Generation graduate network
Events and workshops to help you keep growing
Become a mentor to help others
Troubleshoot your job challenges