Launch you career in Cloud Tech - AWS RE/START
Launch a career in tech with AWS re/Start
Generation was awarded funding by Greater Manchester Combined Authority to deliver bespoke Skills Bootcamps in the city-region, which form part of the Government’s Lifetime Skills Guarantee, helping everyone gain skills for life. Skills Bootcamps give people aged 19+ the opportunity to build up sector specific skills through fully-funded and co-funded flexible courses of up to 16 weeks. After completing the training, participants will fast track to a guaranteed interview with a local employer.
What jobs could I do after completing the programme?
This programme trains you to become a AWS Cloud Support Practitioner – a Cloud Practitioner is someone who works with cloud technology to design and develop cloud-based solutions for companies. AWS stands for Amazon Web Services, a popular cloud platform.
Who is this programme for?
This programme is open to anyone aged 19-29 who is living in Manchester and currently unemployed or working on a zero-hours contract. You must also have been resident in the UK/EEA for past 3 years (exceptions for: refugee status and leave to enter / remain)
You don’t need any qualifications or experience to apply and we encourage applications from groups under-represented in the tech industry – particularly women and those without university degrees.
We are looking for learners who:
- enjoy working with technology but don’t have much or any experience
- enjoy problem solving and thinking creatively to find solutions
- like to work in a team to complete tasks or challenges
What will you gain from the programme?
- It’s free! Gain all the skills you need to kickstart a career in the tech industry, at no cost
- Average estimated starting salary from £25-30k in your first role and access to future progression opportunities
- Grow in confidence and resilience, while building your first professional network in the classroom.
Hear more from programme graduate Javeriyah, who became a Systems Engineer after completing AWS re/Start:
- Free training and qualification You’ll learn all you need to be successful in a cloud technology career – from the coding languages & technical knowledge of cloud computing to the employment skills that will help you achieve your potential. At the end of the programme you’ll be ready to take your AWS Cloud Practitioner Certification – and we’ll fund you to do it.
- Connect with employers At the end of the programme, Generation will connect you with employers hiring for cloud and dev-ops engineer roles, support you through your application, and help you transition into your working life.
- Free travel and lunch And if you’re receiving universal credit or other benefits, we’ll work with you to make sure you continue to receive these during the programme.
Program Length12 weeks
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Aged 19-29
- Currently a resident in Greater Manchester
- Can demonstrate your interest in a career in technology
- Have the legal right to work & live in the UK
- UK/EEA resident for 3+ years (exceptions can apply for certain status')
What is a Cloud Support Practitioner?
Cloud technology underpins everything we experience online. From Netflix to Facebook, Reddit to the BBC, millions of companies around the world use Amazon Web Services and the Cloud to power their businesses.
As a Cloud Support Practitioner, you'll support businesses to find cloud-based solutions for their challenges. It's a creative role, with a lot of teamwork and problem-solving.
Hear our grads' experiences of the programme below, and head to our instagram and twitter to find out more.
Amazon Web Services, the “Powered by AWS” logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries.
We'll help you learn the technical skills with lots of hands-on, interactive sessions. By the end, you'll know:
- IT fundamentals - Linux, Security, Databases
- Python programming basics
- AWS services - preparing you to become a certified cloud practitioner
Don't worry if some of these technical skills aren't familiar to you — we'll teach you everything on the programme. To explore if you'll enjoy the course content, we recommend trying out some free online coding courses such as Codeacademy or Freecodecamp.
Behavior & Mindsets
In every job, there are key skills that will help you be successful. We'll help you learn how to:
- Tackle any problem
- Work in a team
- Organise your time
What your journey will look like
Complete your application and provide ID documentationGo through the selection process outlined earlier.
Meet your mentorIf you gain a place, you’ll meet with your mentor before the programme starts to make sure you have all the support you need to complete the programme successfully.
Start your trainingThe programme begins! You’ll learn the behaviours, mindsets and technical skills to succeed as a Cloud Support Practitioner.
Get ready for your job applicationsAs training progresses, you'll work with the Generation team on your interview technique and creating your personal statement for end employers.
Graduate!Graduate and celebrate your achievement with your friends and family.
Connect with employers and start in your new roleGeneration will connect you with employers who have vacancies reserved especially for Generation graduates. We’ll support you to find a role, and then stay in touch as you start in the job.
Ongoing benefits of Generation
A Trusted Network
Continued contact with the Generation graduate network
Events and workshops to help you keep growing
Become a mentor to help others
Troubleshoot your job challenges