Launch your career in tech: Become a data engineer
Data is one of the fastest growing areas in tech. With career paths leading to AI, machine learning and Big Data, now is a great time to join this sector. On this free 12 week bootcamp, we’ll provide you with the perfect launchpad. Take the Where Do I Belong in Tech Quiz to see if this is the right programme for you.
What jobs could I do after completing the programme?
This programme trains you to become a Data Engineer, a person whose job is to build and maintain the tech systems that enable companies to navigate huge amounts of data, smoothly and securely. Similar job titles include Data Architect and Solutions Architect.
Who is this programme for?
This programme is open to anyone aged 18+ who is living in Yorkshire and currently unemployed or working on a zero-hours contract.
You don’t need any qualifications or experience to apply and we encourage applications from groups under-represented in the tech industry – particularly women, those without university degrees, and those aged under 30.
We are looking for learners who:
- have basic Python Skills (Complete the free Udacity Introduction to Python Programming to gain these)
- like solving problems with a logical, step-by-step approach
- have good attention to detail
- feel comfortable with the idea of learning new software programmes, such as Microsoft Excel
- are happy doing (or learning to do) a bit of computer programming or coding
What will you gain from the programme?
- It’s free! Gain all the skills you need to kickstart a career in the tech industry, at no cost
- Average estimated starting salary from £25-30k in your first role and access to future progression opportunities
- Grow in confidence and resilience, while building your first professional network in the classroom.
What we’re offering…
- Free training You’ll learn all you need to be successful – from programming skills to the employment essentials that will help you achieve your potential.
- Connect with employers At the end of the programme, Generation will connect you with employers hiring for data engineer roles, support you through your application, and help you transition into your working life.
- Free travel and lunch And if you’re receiving universal credit or other benefits, we’ll work with you to make sure you continue to receive these during the programme.
Program Length12 weeks
- Basic Python Skills (Complete the free Udacity Introduction to Python Programming to gain these)
- Aged 18+
- Not currently in education, training, or employment
- Available full time for 12 weeks, and ready to start a full time job straight after the course
- Have the legal right to work & live in the UK
- You live in West Yorkshire, Harrogate, York, Selby or Barnsley
What does a Data Engineer do?
Think about how many customers a company like Amazon or eBay has. Millions? Then think about how many items they have online. Billions? And within that, how many types of individual information - names, locations, costs - all evolving all the time.
As a data engineer, you build and maintain the tech systems that enable companies to navigate these huge amounts of data, smoothly and securely.
It’s all about clear thinking, problem-solving and being ready to dive into the detail with your teammates.
Here's Henri, explaining the typical tasks you'll complete as a Data Engineer.
We'll help you learn the technical skills with lots of hands-on, interactive sessions. By the end, you'll know:
- Database fundamentals
- Programming languages including Python and SQL
- Agile and scrum methodology
Don't worry if some of these technical skills aren't familiar to you — you'll learn them on the programme. The only technical skill you need to have before the programme is basic Python - to learn this, you need to complete the Udacity Introduction to Python Programming.
Behavior & Mindsets
In every job, there are key skills that will help you be successful. We'll help you learn how to:
- Problem solve effectively
- Be an awesome team player
- Organise your time
What your journey will look like
Complete your application and ID checksGo through the selection process outlined earlier, including completing the Udacity Introduction to Python Programming course if you don't know Python already.
Meet your mentorIf you gain a place, you’ll meet with your mentor before the programme starts to make sure you have all the support you need to achieve your potential.
Start your trainingThe programme begins! You’ll learn the behaviours, mindsets and technical skills to succeed in the end role.
Get ready for your interviewAs training progresses, you'll work with the Generation team on your interview technique and creating your personal statement for end employers.
Graduate!Graduate and celebrate your achievement with your friends and family.
Interview and start in your roleWe’ll matchmake you with end employers who have vacancies reserved especially for Generation graduates. We’ll support you to find a role, and then stay in touch as you start in the job.
Ongoing benefits of Generation
A Trusted Network
Continued contact with the Generation graduate network
Events and workshops to help you keep growing
Become a mentor to help others
Troubleshoot your job challenges